Saturday, March 04, 2006

50% done with Berkeley-Columbia's Exec program

As of this writing, I am officially 52% done with my career as an Exec MBA student at the Berkeley-Columbia Executive program. It's been a blast so far even if the work has been overwhelming at times. I don't do all the homework I'm supposed to and I can't always do all the readings I want to, but for the most part I feel like it's been an amazingly valuable experience.

I'm trying to compare this to two other people I know who are attending an MBA program at the same time. The first is my twin brother who is attending Columbia's Exec MBA program and the other is my friend who is attending IMD's full time (1 year) program.

I must say that the rigor of IMD's program has really impressed me. I don't even understand half of what Sia writes on his blog. I will say that it sounds like he's getting worked a lot harder than I am although with my full-time work, I think we both keep pretty busy.

Makes me wonder what the purpose of these programs are...is it really the rigor or does the rigor inspire the network? I like the folks in my program but I don't want to think I just ponied up $126K just to hang out and get to know them. Could I have learned all this from a book somewhere? Probably. Would I have met the same amazing people..maybe, but it would have taken me longer.

It does make me believe there isn't much difference between those that "succeed" and those that don't. Some of it's luck, some of it's the right people, and some of it's just being ready for the right opportunity. I'm hoping some of that hits me soon.

BTW, here's my friend's blog on IMD: http://sliceoftoro.blogspot.com

My next project (between moving into my new house and renting our old place): setting up zimbra on my Mac Mini: www.zimbra.com. These guys did email right.

No comments: