Friday, March 10, 2006

Web collaboration and information storage

Interesting company that Google just gobbled up: http://www2.writely.com/info/WritelyOverflowWelcome.htm


Another idea I've thought about...why should I be saving emails and documents in different hierarchical file systems or DBs? While Google desktop allows me the ability to search both, I'd rather be able to store all of my items in a single relational db with title, comments, and all the relevant details. I think need to be able to pull them out as needed without having to search each one independently for information. Why can't email and files live in the same hierarchical or relational system rather than distinct ones? I need a single information store for all my communication paths (so ideally even web pages, RSS, SMS, and every other way in which I get electronic info). Each one should have some meta data that I can search on and allow me to share or search for that information as needed. Google Desktop is a start but it doesn't solve the issue because I spend a lot of time organizing my email folders as I do organizing my file folders. Both should be the same and both should auto-learn the way in which I store data and the kind of data I create and receive. And they should understand whether this is work or personal as well as whether it's time sensitive or not.

1 comment:

moleboy said...

Yeah, that would be neat, but difficult to make generic.
You also run into the problem of whether or not this should be web-based. I would imagine you would, but then you have the issue of online storage, reliability, security, and, of course, hosting (assuming you aren't doing it yourself).
-Joel